…Talkin’, Talkin’ about my baby, who’s some kind of wonderful!
On Sunday evening, June 17th, at 6pm Trinity UMC will hold a very special worship celebration in our sanctuary. You’ve heard of June weddings? Well, this isn’t a wedding and it isn’t a holy union; this is a celebration of Re-commitment for couples who have previously shared in a ceremony of commitment. And we’re sharing it with each other.
In May the United Methodist General Conference met in Tampa and, unfortunately, continued to uphold its long-standing pejorative language forbidding gay and lesbian couples from sharing in a holy union or marriage in United Methodist churches. When this policy was instituted in 1996, Trinity made a commitment to continue to treat gay couples, trans couples, and straight couples by the same inclusive standards. We had conducted holy unions in our sanctuary since 1992 after voting to become a Reconciling Congregation and we were not going to return to a pre-welcoming position on marriage. Since that time, in compliance with the United Methodist Discipline, Trinity has held no holy unions for gay couples on our property and we have held no weddings for straight couples either. We continue to grieve as a congregation that the United Methodist Church acts unjustly, unlovingly, and un-Christian by doing harm to our LGBT United Methodists and their families. This hurts us all and fractures the Body of Christ.
Why are we doing this service? Our purpose is two-fold:
- We are doing this to support one another in love and to model what it means to be a faith community of diversity where gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and straight Christians are honored and celebrated together.
- We are also doing this as a witness to the harm being done by our own denomination, the United Methodist Church. Because it is a witness, we have invited the media to be present.
If you are uncomfortable with the media presence, but wish to participate, please be assured that the sanctuary will be divided in such a way that the media will only be set up to see one half. If you wish to remain off camera, we will help you sit in sections out of camera view.
Do you still have the original vows from your holy union or wedding? If so, bring them along. If not, we will have sample vows of recommitment available in the bulletin. Are you single, widowed, or a child but care about marriage equality? Come to support your friends and each other. All are welcome! However, please RSVP so we can get a head-count to help in our planning. Following the ceremony, we will have a reception in Trinity’s Community Hall of cake and punch for all who wish to participate.
- What: A Service of Recommitment of holy union and marriage for gay, straight, and transgender couples.
- Where: Trinity United Methodist Church, 4001 Speedway (40th & Speedway) in Austin.
- When: Sunday Evening, June 17th at 6 pm.
- Hosted by: Rev. Sid Hall and the congregation of Trinity UMC Austin
- RSVP: Register online at http://recommit.eventbrite.com/
Come join the celebration; Come join the witness to God’s extravagant love!