From Dell Children’s Medical Center of Central Texas:
Attention teens! Are you working on getting to a healthier weight?
Teens Empowered for Exercise and Nutrition (TEEN) Group
How can I join TEEN group? Requirements:
- Be a teen (age 13-18), with a parent or guardian who can attend meetings with you
- Be referred for the group through your primary care provider (PCP)
- Be classified as needing to get to a healthier weight by your doctor or health care provider
- Have the desire to learn more about how to make positive changes
What can I learn in TEEN group?
The TEEN group is not a nutrition or fitness program. It focuses on the challenges of making healthy behavior changes and helps teens build skills in the following areas:
- Motivation: Increase your motivation to follow through and reach your health goals.
- Mindfulness: Eating mindfully can help you resist emotional eating.
- Emotion regulation: Learn to cope with difficult emotions without using food or unhealthy behaviors.
- Self Image: Learn to accept yourself and recognize your positive qualities.
- Communication: Parents, other family members, and teens learn to support each other in being healthier. Teens learn to meet their goals with the help of family and other loved ones.