- Wednesday | September 28, 2022
- All Day
What happened to WNA? Wednesday Night Alive, or WNA, has been with us for many years. But how do you have Wednesday Night Alive on a Thursday or a Sunday? So, Abra Cadabra! WNA has transformed into Wellsprings of Wisdom (you can call it WOW if you want to. :-))
Now you can register for fabulous classes that take place on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Sunday afternoons. Classes are $20 for the session unless otherwise noted. As with WNA, Wellsprings of Wisdom is about fellowship, not fundraising. If you would like to attend but are unable to pay the full amount, please talk with Sid or Amy.
Coexist: Cultural Literacy for Religion – Everything The Well-Educated Person Should Know
Religious belief has been innate to humans everywhere and in every age, from the time of the Neanderthals to the 21st century. It’s also one of the strongest motivators of human behavior and has a profound impact on all aspects of our culture—our spiritual beliefs, our rituals, our politics, and the very foundations of our democracy.
Unfortunately, the majority of Americans fail basic tests about religion, including their own faith, according to polls conducted by Gallup and the Pew Research Forum. This is troublesome because religious literacy is about so much more than naming deities or knowing the stories of ancient history. A basic understanding of religion is crucial in today’s increasingly connected world.
For many of us, religion is a powerful cultural identifier and impacts our everyday expression of ourselves. Religious literacy—the knowledge of basic teachings, symbols, practices, founders, institutions, and values of the world’s religious traditions—can shed new light on the world around us and knock down the boundaries between us, making us better neighbors and better citizens.
This 6-week class will explore the following topics:
- Religion—Its Meaning and Importance; Facets of Religion—Divinity and Devotion;
- Hinduism—Foundational Texts and Teachings; Hindu Gods and Devotional Practices;
- Gita to Gandhi—Yogas and Modern Hinduism; Waking Up—The Buddha and His Teachings;
- Vehicles to Nirvana—The Schools of Buddhism; Chinese Religion and Cosmology;
- Confucianism—Rituals and Relationships; Daoism—Harmony, Nature, and the Way;
- Kami and Spirits—Shinto and Shamanism; East Asian Buddhism—Zen and Pure Land
- Ages 0-4: Free childcare in the nursery/preschool.